Saturday, November 6, 2010

Things I thought I knew

So I obviously haven't updated in a while... in fact it's been almost a month! (oops) But I decided to do more of a fun post then one that detailed all my trips...

So Kenze, sorry but I stole this from you :)
The ABC's of spain

A- almuerzo : the word I was taught for lunch- too bad in Spain they call it "come"- how deceiving after 7 years of learning the wrong spanish words.

B- bread- with every meal you are served a big chunk of bread. Refusing to eat this huge chunk of bread is considered to be mutinous, trust me I've done it once, and never will again.

C- cafe con helado : McDonald's best discovery; it's a cup of coffee with some vanilla soft serve in it- amazing.

D- discotecas. Europe's form of a club. If going to Europe, it is always a good experience to visit one- make sure you're ready to dance!

E- eggs. I tried my first hamburger with a fried egg on it and will never go back!! If you haven't had it, then try it because it's delicious. Also, I had soup the other night with a hard boiled egg in it- surprisingly good.

F-french fries. Are even more delicious in Spain- I think it's because they cook them a different way?

G-gula. The adjective my mama just used to describe me- meaning "gluttonous" but when she explained it to me she said a person who loves sweets.

H- ham. It is basically served with every meal as well; or some other form of pork. For example, they put ham in soups, salads, ham and grilled cheese sandwiches, fried ham patties, HAMburgers (ham patties), etc.

I- independence. One thing that studying abroad really encourages. You're on your own in multiple ways and it's up to you to figure things out for yourself...

J- jugo- the word I was taught for juice; here they call it ZUMO- yet again... confusing. 

K- kissing. Everyone here loves PDA (public displays of affection). On multiple occasions, I have had to swallow my vomit from having to witness so much PDA.

L- lip piercings. Literally almost everyone has them here in Spain... they must be the cool thing to do- I'm contemplating getting one :)   (joke- they're disgustingly trashy)

M- musica! Spaniards love their music... they are always either playing music or singing songs themselves! A few of my mama's personal favorite are : "no tengo un bigote" ( I don't have a mustache)  and  "donde esta mi movil"(where is my cell phone) - written by herself.

N- naps! Also known as "siesta"- They are both a positive and negative. On days when you need to relax during the afternoon they're great. But it is also a pain in the behind when you have that free time after lunch to walk around and shop! But all the stores are closed...because it's siesta time.

O- olive oil. Everything here is cooked in olive oil- aka deep fried in olive oil ( or maybe that's just my case?)

P- privacy. In Spain, especially living with families you have none. Mama's feel free to come barging into your when even if the door is closed and you are standing there half naked. They also feel free to move your stuff, go through your stuff, in the name of organization and cleaning.

more to come :)

1 comment:

  1. Loved the "musica" one and "jugo." we would be taught the wrong thing (typical).

    ReplyDelete